Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Psalm 119:9-16


The longest Psalm, 119, is loaded with verses that celebrate God's Word. At first it might seem strange to bask in the significance of a bunch of laws and ordinances, but for those of us who are United States citizens, don't we do this with our Declaration of Independence and the Bill of Rights? 

Having had the opportunity to visit the National Archives in Washington DC, it is quite amazing to take in the security of the actual documents. But then to consider that these documents serve as the blueprints for our government's structure, it cannot be dismissed that we celebrate (and sometimes debate) these man-created laws. 

How much more should we, as Children of God, hold in high esteem God's covenants? 

The last week, I've taken my morning devotion time to dwell among Psalm 119:9-16. What I share below are my unedited thoughts, as they came to me at 5:45am. So forgive me if it doesn't seem to flow as I hope my usual devotions do.

Ps 119:9 - How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word.

The only way to live according to the Word of God is to know what the Word of God says. And there is a difference between knowing enough to get the gist and really knowing it so that it actually changes the way that we live.

Ps 119:10 - I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands.

My first-born/Type A personality really resonates with this verse. It is straight forward and coincides with my work-a-holic tendencies. If I simply stick to the well layed out plan that has stood the test of time, since time began, my life will not only be fulfilling to me, but pleasing to God as well - which of course is my heart's ultimate desire.

Ps 119:11 - I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.

There are parties of people who think that memorization of anything, not just Scripture, is an outdated practice. However, there is some compelling research that states otherwise. That being said, the reason why Believers should practice memorization of God's Word is that it changes you from the inside out.

Ps 119:12 - Praise be to you, O LORD; teach me your decrees

As a teacher it's very gratifying when students are excited about your class. It's incredibly frustrating when students are totally apathetic about learning. And it's humbling when students choose to do what I've asked, not because they think learning is great, but because they want to please me.

Ps 119:13 - With my lips I recount all the laws that come from your mouth

Synonyms of recount - tell, relate, describe, recite, repeat, rehearse
With intention we should be regularly reviewing God's ordinances so that we can check ourselves before we wreck ourselves.

Ps 119:14 - I rejoice in following your statutes as one rejoices in great riches.

There is something about rules and laws that brings out a person's rebelliousness. But really it's not just about my own safety and well-being. It is so that a community of people can live in harmony and that's something to rejoice about.

Ps 119:15 - I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways.

Jesus says that He is "the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through me". (John 14) Our meditations and considerations should always begin and focus on the path Jesus has laid out for each of us.

Ps 119:16 - I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your Word.

1 - Delight and neglect are opposite - something you delight in will never be neglected. Something that is left neglected, you do not delight in.
2 - Neglect is the result of putting something off for other priorities. It's why our physical health, our relationships, our financial health, our home environments become in such bad shape. 
***Be diligent about putting First Things, first.

No comments:

Post a Comment