Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Philippians 4:4-9


A few years back, a colleague and I crossed paths to and from the school office, and out of nowhere she commented, "You always seem so calm." I said, "Really? Because there are a million things going on up in here", pointing to my head. "I don't always feel like I have my act together." She replied, "Well you could have fooled me!" 

I think that the reason why this brief interaction has stuck with me is because I only have one possible explanation for her observation - JESUS! 

We all have very busy lives; and if our schedules aren't jammed packed, then certainly our minds are moving a mile a minute, or even faster! 

I love, love, love this passage out of Philippians - it's one of my most marked up pages in my Bible. I've had chapter 4 verses 6-8 memorized for years. These three verses have been an absolute lifeline whenever I find myself wanting to unnecessarily jump into a battlefield of the mind. I rehearse verse 8 over and over until my thoughts start to change.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

Last summer I clung to verses 6 & 7. It was a very stressful ending to a school year and all I prayed for was the Shalom of God. 

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

But it wasn't until recently that I added verses 4 and 5 to my memory work in conjunction with the rest of that passage. And I am so glad that I finally did. 

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.

Because I choose to think about things that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent and praiseworthy, not only do I inwardly experience my Heavenly Father's Shalom, but my testimony to others is my outward ability to Rejoice...in the Lord...ALWAYS! 

As believers, our attitudes, among other qualities, is what catches the eyes of those who have yet to choose to follow Jesus. Our attitudes are our testimonies to those who don't even ask us to tell our stories. Our attitudes are what can give hope to the hopeless. 

May you have a clear sense of the Lord's nearness to you today.


No comments:

Post a Comment